Sorry I've been absent, a friend was in town so we had to shop, eat, and go to the beach. *smile*
6 Things You Probably Didn't Know you Can Freeze (from Better Homes & Gardens, Oct. 2009)
1. Eggs- Lightly beaten eggs, beaten yolks, or whites can be frozen, but not an egg in its shell. Store in lidded ice cube trays (one egg fills two cubes).
2. Cooked Rice- Spread cooled rice on a lined baking sheet. Rub with small amount of vegetable oil so grains separate. Freeze, then transfer to a freezer bag.
3. Ginger Root- Wrap peeled ginger in plastic, then put in freezer bag. Ginger grates well while still frozen.
4. Cheese- Cut hard (parmesan, pecorino) and semi-hard cheeses (cheddar, swiss) into 1/4 inch blocks, wrap in plastic, then put in freezer bag. Grate hard cheeses while frozen, thaw others in refrigerator.
5. Butter or margarine- Store in a freezer bag, in its original packaging for up to six months. Thaw in refrigerator. Don't freeze whipped butter.
6. Nuts- Store in airtight container or freezer bag for up to six weeks. Use right from freezer for recipes- no need to thaw.