Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Canning- Pickled Cornichons

Something I would really like to add to my monthly routine is canning. My grandmother cans everything and it amazes me. She even lets me "shop" in her storage room for jelly, tomato sauce, and apples. All are of course <>

I found a great recipe via Hounds in the Kitchen that give directions on how to can pickled cornichons (or gherkins). Doesn't that sound lovely!









Homemade Cornichons

for each half pint jar

2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup water
5-8 whole 2-4 inch cucumbers, washed thoroughly with spines rubbed off
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 small bay leaf
1/2 tablespoon pepper corns
2 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1 fresh grape leaf, washed, optional

1. Heat salt, vinegar, and water in a pot over medium heat until boiling.
2. Pack cucumbers into a sterilized jar with peeled garlic clove. Sprinkle spices over cucumbers.
3. Pour boiling vinegar brine into the jar, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
4. Wipe rim and place new lid on the jar. Finger tighten a ring on the jar and place in a hot water bath.
5. Boil in hot water for 15 minutes. Remove from water bath and allow to cool to room temperature.


1 comment:

  1. Trying this one myself today! Unfortunately I have enough baby cukes for one tiny little jar!
    Tamara

    http://tamsgarden-howdoesourgardengrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete