Thursday, July 21, 2011

For the Love of a Child

Children are miraculous creatures and I'm so blessed to have one. I'm a relatively young parent to have a 5-year-old. He is super sweet, very quiet, and likes to sleep with me. Storms bother him and he's not a fan of loud noises. He is ready to ride in the car on a moments notice and enjoys sitting in my lap.

Now for the rest of the story. My child is a four legged Japanese Spitz. Yes, I am one of those people.

My dog is my baby.

As such, I tend to pamper him with all kinds of good food (we should have stock in Oscar Meyer) and treats (vanilla ice cream with potato chips). So whenever I find a good recipe, I stick with it. The recipe below was one I found online but tweaked it just a bit to reduce the sugar and add garlic. What's a little bit of garlic breath among family?

Peanut Butter Dog Biscuit Recipe

2 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1.5 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp garlic powder (dogs love garlic)
1 tsp Sea Salt
3 eggs
1 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water

1. Preheat oven to 375F.

2. Line a couple of sheet pans with wax paper.

3. Combine flours, brown sugar, garlic powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and peanut butter and mix until blended.

4. Mix in oil. Add water water until dough is smooth and workable.

5. Cover the dough and set aside for 15-20 min. to relax.

6. Roll out dough to about 3/8″-1/2″ thick. Cut to desired shaped then put on sheet pans.

7. Bake for approx. 40 min. or until biscuits are slightly browned and fairly hard (they will harden a touch more when cool.) Set aside to cool then disperse as barked for.

No comments:

Post a Comment